I recently returned to Tasmania, I have rekindled my love for camp fire cooking. This recipe just sings “eat me”. I used to make this in the oven but now Im a convert of smokey goodness.
- 4 golden delicious apples (any good cooking apple)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup pepita and sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or agave nectar if you want it to be sugar free)
- cinnamon to taste (aprox 1 dessert spoon)
- 1 cup coconut oil or butter
- Good quality yogurt to serve
- Raw honey to serve
- Get your camp fire reads and some coals nice and hot. If your cooking in a oven, pre heat to 190c
- Wash your apples and using a corer or a paring knife take out the core and some of the flesh to make a well in the middle of apple. Don’t take it all the way thought to the base of the apple, just 2/3 of the way thought.
- In a medium bowl, place, rolled oats, coconut, almond meal, sunflower seeds, sugar, and cinnamon, toss till combined, place the coconut oil in and mix till the mixture become well coated in the oil or butter. its should start to form a dough when you squish it in your hands.
- stuff the apple wight he mixture and wrap int eh apple in foil.
- Place in the coals of the fire, try not to give it direct flame or it will burn the apple skin and not cook slowly. allow to cook or apron 20mins. open the foil the apple should be bubbling and soft. Pull from the fire and serve with yogurt and honey.
Sarah’s tips & tricks
- You can prep these the night before your trip.
- For dessert try putting a little chocolate in the middle of the apple.
Serves: 4 PEOPLE
COOKING TIME: 1hour