Whole Orange & Chocolate Pudding
This recipe is a crowd pleaser, whenever I get invited to a friend’s house for dinner I take it with me, after all who doesn't like chocolate and orange? It is perfect when coming into winter.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 80g butter, melted, cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 orange
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups boiling orange water (you will get this when you boil your oranges)
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place the orange in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook until the oranges are soft, you may need to add more water to the pot, this will take a good hour or so. Keep the orange water for the pudding.
- Grease an ovenproof baking dish. Sift flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in sugar.
- Combine butter, milk and egg in a jug. Slowly add to the flour mixture, whisking until well combined and smooth. Spoon into the baking dish. Smooth the top then add the orange that you have cut into pieces, rind included.
- Sprinkle sugar and cocoa mixture over the pudding.
- Slowly pour boiling orange water over the pudding, ensure it covers the entire pudding. Place dish onto a baking tray. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until pudding bounces back when pressed gently in centre. Serve hot with cream and berries
Sarah’s tips & tricks
You can take out the oranges if you like.
Serve with cream and ice cream, perfect for a cold winter night.