- 1kg mussels (bearded, I personally like the smaller ones, they are sweeter)
- 2 tins whole Italian roman tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of dried wakame seaweed
- 1 bunch fennel prongs (the leaf of the fennel plant)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 lemon to serve
- 1 packet of spaghetti
- Cook your pasta until "al dente" (to bite) in clean ocean water(I pass mine though muslin cloth if need be). Drain from the water and set the pasta aside (keep some of the pasta water, it is great to add later as it has some of the starches and flavour from the pasta).
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands and place them in the pot. Add red wine and 1 cup of the pasta water and bring to a simmer. Add the garlic and mussels and cook until the mussels open up. Add the pasta and toss. To serve place in a bowl, add fennel, a good squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of wakame seaweed.
SARAH’S TIPS & TRICKS
- If you can’t get ocean water, add some extra salt to your water for flavour.
SERVES: 4-5 • COOKING TIME: 45 minUTES
Images By Luisa Brimble